Thursday, March 13, 2008

Update..

A quick update on Dad - Dad was flown down from Broome to Perth and pretty much went straight in to surgery. They 'de-gloved' his leg, a procedure to cut away the infected skin (sounds yukky I know). Later yesterday afternoon I received a phone call to say that the procedure wasn't as successful as the doctors had hoped and they were taking Dad back to surgery to amputate his leg- OMG!!! I organized myself, Adam and the kids and off I went up the hospital (about an hours drive) to find that the doctors had NOT amputated his leg but had diagnosed my Dad with the very rare Necrotising Fascitis - a flesh eating bacteria. The doctors had in fact removed all the skin off Dad's leg to keep the bug at bay. Last night was critical. Thank goodness we received no phone calls during the night. Then today Dad was taken back into surgery to re dress the leg and to check to see if the bacteria had spread. I'm really pleased to say that I have just received a phone call from Mum to say that the bacteria seems to be under control and the Doctors are very pleased that for the first time Dad's vital signs have improved.
I have been in turmoil all day. I am meant to leave first thing in the morning for the Scrapboxx retreat and despite the fact that I'm so, so, so looking forward to it, I'd not go in a heartbeat if my family needed me. After a very long talk to my Mum this afternoon( a big heart to heart) I am going on the retreat. As Mum said I can always come back if I need to and Mum has my brother, my 4 aunties and my uncle there with her. Dad is heavily sedated and now (thank goodness) has shown signs of improvement.
I will keep in constant contact with Mum all weekend (my goodness, what did we do before mobile phones!) so now, only in the last hour or so, do I feel okay about my decision to go on the retreat.
Please everyone stay safe and tell those whom you love - that you love them.

Love Janine xxx

3 comments:

Kylie M said...

My Heart & Thoughts are with you Janine and your family as I totally understand the turmoil that you were facing about not going on retreat.

We recieved more bad news yesterday in relation to craig mum and it's not a good outlook.

Mardi said...

Ohh Janine...what a traumatic time for you...I hope your Dad is doing well now...and you have been able to enjoy the Retreat.

Ill keep him in my thoughts...and wish him a good recovery...
Mardi x

Anonymous said...

Thinking of your dad at this time. I hope day by day he shows improvement and makes a good recovery. What a worry for you all. Your family sure has had a hard time over the last few months with medical problems.

I hope you were able to relax and have some fun at the Boxx retreat. Try not to worry too much. Keeping my fingers crossed for good luck.

Love from Susan (smiles1965) at Scrapboxx