Sunday, May 20, 2007

Warning- LONG post but also some LOs to share!!!

Hi there!
Let me start by sharing the LO I completed last night during Janine Kaye's online class!It was such a fun class but boy did Janine have us working fast! Honestly, I didn't even have time to drink my glass of wine!!! Aren't the papers just the yummiest!! Janine surprised us by sending through more instructions to make a second LO and a card with all our left over bits! I haven't got to the bonus bits yet- LOL, been doing other stuff! I have actually journalled in the journalling box but took the photo before and then couldn't be bothered rephotographing it!
This pink LO is actually a 6x6 LO that I completed for an album over at EMM. Shazz is organizing an album for a lady called Bridgette who has cancer. Shazz asked people to make a pink LO which included an appropriate quote. Here is mine- for more info check out the EMM forum.

Now this LO makes me happy because looking at these three smiling cuties makes me happy- gorgeous aren't they!!! This is my scrapjack for this month's Aussie Scrapjack. It is a scrap of Mardi's LO called 'Fun with Granny' I totally loved scrapping Mardi's LO- there were so many I could have easily picked!!!

OK- this next bit is a bit long, so I have left the last LO I am sharing this post to after this bit. If you don't wish to read this long bit, skip down to the last LO!!!

Yesterday we had a bit of an 'incident' with Sarah. She went a bit funny, told me she had a sore tummy and didn't want to do acrobatics. This surprised me as she loves acro and I actually felt that she wasn't really sick but hey- give her the benefit!
Anyway I took her home and she got straight out of the car and went off and hopped into bed- so I thought that maybe I was wrong and she was feeling unwell. I checked on her after about 30 minutes and she was laying there with her eyes closed- asleep I assumed.
I checked on her again, about 30 minutes on, and this time she had her eyes open but as soon as she saw me, looked away. I instantly felt that there was something else wrong (mother's intuition). I went in, sat down and started talking to her- well my initial thoughts were correct- she wasn't sick.
I need to go back a bit here, so you know where I'm coming from.
Sarah is academically very bright. Last year her WALNA results (state testing) was very good. In two of the four subjects tested she was above the shaded area, which indicates she scored in the top 10% of the state. In the remaining two area she scored very high as well. After those results we were not surprised when this year, she was selected to be tested for the school's Gifted and Talented program. She was accepted and absolutely LOVES going. The G&T teacher spoke to me a while back about having her tested further to find out exactly what level she was at, so possibly the school could adjust its teaching to suit her- all sounded good to me. Adam and I discussed this and eventually agreed but were very selective in the information we gave Sarah. I wasn't too keen on her knowing too much incase others found out- not all kids like the smart kid- IYKWIM. Anyway, yesterday morning was the extra testing. Adam took Sarah to the test while I stayed home with Emma and then took Em to her acrobatics. We had planned for Adam to drop Sarah straight to acro with me- so she could do her class! Sarah's feeling 'sick' started after Adam dropped her with me and I started asking her about the test.
Well to cut a long story short, Sarah's 'feeling sick' was actually a knotted stomach from stress- you see by not giving Sarah all the information about this test she assumed some. The test was actually hard for her- well it should be - it is based at a year 8 level. Sarah was stressed because she found the test hard, she presumed that she may not do as well as she hoped and consequently be removed from the G&T program. So her 'sore tummy' was her stressing. Poor kid- my tummy felt sore and knotted listening to her. Once I explained that it didn't effect her position in the G&T program- she felt heaps better- amazing huh! BUT- the good thing was, we kept on talking. It was SO good. We talked about all sorts of things- it was as if I had opened flood gates. She told me all sorts of other things that are going on in her life- to do with school, friends, sports etc WOW- I didn't realized that a nine year old would have so many worries and concerns. We talked through lots of them and discussed how she could handle certain things. It was such an eye opener for me but I'm SO pleased it all happened. We made a little pact to have these talks more often. Today, it is like a weigh has been lifted off her shoulders- she is just so happy. We have had a delightful day. When she is happy- I am happy. This morning I sat in her room while she practiced clarinet-and I really enjoyed listening to her. I know this sounds silly- but it is like we have 'discovered' each other!! I am SO proud of her! Happy Mummy moment!!!

OK let's move on!!! If you still with me- well done and I have one more LO to share.

This LO 'Cute as a Cupcake' is my last challenge for the Scrapapple Scraproom challenge. This week was 'Anything' goes. I have had this idea about creating a felt cupcake for ages and this was the perfect opportunity to use it- I'm really pleased with how it turned out- in fact I love it!!! The patty pan is an actual scan of a real patty pan from a recipe book!!!

Anyway- I have had a GREAT day and I hope you did too. Go and hug your kids and tell them that you love them!!!
Love Janine xxx

6 comments:

deirdre said...

WOW Janine, you have a very clever little cookie there, what a wonderful Mum you are for understanding and letting her talk it out :)
Love all your LO's, thanks for entering scrapjacked :)

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous layouts! :)

Tracey Bower said...

Hi Janine,
Your layouts look great as always, awesome that you took the time to listen to your Mother's intuition, those moments when you click together with a child just makes your heart swell doesn't it.
Take care
Tracey

Francine Burgess said...

what a wonderful moment for you both, its amazing how much we dont actually know about our kids till we sit down with them and talk..and love your cupcake layout,,stunning!

Anonymous said...

hey janine, sorry i worked you so hard! (*wink*)..but your layout does look beautiful!! i prommise to take it easier on you if you come play with me again!

Anonymous said...

Hi Janine and thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment ;)
I love all your LO's and your cupcake is so adorable. Love the extra sprinkles on top :)
Your poor DD having a knot in her tummy :( I felt really sad for you and can understand how that must have made you feel too. It's amazing what little kids can understand and sometimes we just don't give them that credit do we. It sounds like you had a very special Mummy's moment :) and I'm glad she was so happy and stress free after your talk :)
Take care
Tammy